Richfield Sports Club was founded in October 1889. The following September club members got together to form a football team. The founder members (lads of 17 and 18) were drawn from the Hibernian Military School and the Bells Academy (a civil service college). They chose the name Bohemian F.C for its romantic and free spirited connotations. The club was founded at the Gate Lodge of Phoenix Park (the North Circular Road entrance) and played their matches in the Phoenix Park Polo grounds.
The current club colours of red and black were adopted in 1893.
From 1902-1920 they were members of the Irish Football League and contested the Irish Cup (which they won in 1908) when these were 'All-Ireland' competitions.
With Independence and the foundation of the Irish Free State Bohemians became founding members of the League of Ireland and competed in the Football Association of Ireland Senior Challenge Cup.