John Baynton and John Brodie were pupils of St Luke's school in Blakenhall when the headmaster, Harry Barcroft, presented the lads with a football. They were inspired to form a club.
The proposed Goldthorn Football Club actually chose the name St Luke's.
They played their first matches in 1877.
In 1879 St Luke's merged with football enthusiasts from a local cricket club, The Wanderers, and adopted the name Wolverhampton Wanderers.